Butler County's great daily newspaper

Pigs escape from Buffalo Township chicken coop fire

Fate of chickens unknown

December 18, 2019 News Extra

Advertisement | Advertise Here

Two pigs escaped unharmed, but the fate of 20 chickens was not immediately known after fire struck a makeshift coop in Buffalo Township this morning.

The fire was reported shortly after 9:30 a.m. on Coal Hollow Road off Freeport Road.

Flames were coming from the porch and a front room of the structure when crews arrived, said Kip Johnston, captain of the Buffalo Township Volunteer Fire Company.

“It was being used as a chicken coop,” he said of the building, an old mobile home, which reportedly was housing the nearly two dozen chickens and the pair of pigs.

Johnston said he was still awaiting to get inside to assess the damage. He did not know if the chickens were in cages. The pigs got out on their own.

The cause of the fire was not immediately known, but crews said the building had no utilities connected to it.

Share this article: