Butler County's great daily newspaper

Smell of natural gas causes evacuations of Main Street businesses

Emily Brittain Elementary closed, students taken to intermediate

December 16, 2019 News Extra

Advertisement | Advertise Here
Several businesses evacuated on Monday morning on the advice of People's Gas after a strong smell of natural gas greeted them as they arrived for work. Pictured is the door of the Center for Community Resource letting the smell of natural gas escape through an open door.

BUTLER — It was an eventful Monday morning on Main Street, where most buildings evacuated between 8:30 and 9 a.m. on the advice of People's Gas after a strong smell of natural gas greeted them upon arriving for work.

People's crews entered each business to check for dangerous situations before allowing employees, customers, clients and patients back inside around 9:30 p.m.

One worker said a leak from a natural gas-powered bus may be the culprit for the strong smell.

One of the buildings closed was Emily Brittain Elementary School. According to the Butler Area School District Superintendent Brian White, students at Emily Brittain Elementary School were prevented from entering the building before the start of the school day and about 30 staff were evacuated from the building.

The superintendent says the gas company has shut off gas to the school as a precautionary measure. Students and staff were transported to the Intermediate High School.

The students will return to Emily Brittain at the end of the day for transportation home.

This is a breaking news article. Read the full article by subscribing online or in print in Tuesday's Butler Eagle.

Share this article: