A Butler High School senior is in custody this morning after threatening to shoot up the school.
Authorities did not identify the 16-year-old boy. He made the threat over the weekend via social media from his Butler home.
The teen is charged with terroristic threats.
City police said they took the boy into custody early Monday morning, and he was turned over to county juvenile probation authorities.
According to authorities, the alleged threat was discovered Sunday night but classes were not affected today in Butler Area School District.
Butler Township police assisted in the investigation after the threat surfaced, authorities said.
City police report the threat was made to “shoot up the school," adding that “specific individuals were mentioned who attend the Butler Vocational School and/or the Butler Senior High School.”
This morning, District Superintendent Brian White emailed parents and posted a letter on the district's website informing the public about the threat and the district's actions.
“Late last night (Sunday, April 14), the school district was informed that an inappropriate online conversation between high school students that contained threatening communication," White wrote, adding that the communications had been reported to the Butler Township Police Department.
He went on to explain the boy had been identified and charged, and that schools in Butler would operate on a normal schedule today. White also praised those who learned of the threat and notified authorities.
“We are grateful to those who saw the inappropriate communication and reported it to local law enforcement,” White wrote. “The school district takes all threats seriously and will engage in all appropriate disciplinary action under the student code of conduct and under Pennsylvania State Law."
The Butler Eagle will update this story as more information becomes available.