Butler County's great daily newspaper

Early morning fire burns garage to the ground

June 1, 2018 News Extra

Advertisement | Advertise Here
An early morning fire burned a garage completely to the ground in Connoquenessing Township.

Fire this morning quickly destroyed a garage at a home in the 1100 block of Prospect Road in Connoquenessing Township.

No one was injured in the blaze about 6:20 a.m. at the home where Gerald Kopp has lived for more than 50 years.

A cause was not immediately known, according to Connoquenessing volunteer firefighters.

Kopp said he was reading the newspaper at the kitchen table when he heard a noise outside.

“I thought it was the wind blowing,” he said. “I looked out and all at once the flames were shooting.”

He called 911 and hopped in the sport utility vehicle that was parked between the house and garage and moved the vehicle to a safe spot. He only recently bought the SUV.

There was no saving the garage — a pole building with vinyl siding.

“It just burned,” Kopp said. “Almost all at once.”

Destroyed in the building were an aluminum fishing boat, guns, gun powder, gun-loading equipment, a crossbow, two all-terrain vehicles, tools, shelves and other property.

The garage, which was constructed 10 to 12 years ago, had electrical service.

He said he had no insurance.

A full story about the fire will appear in the Butler Eagle.

Share this article:
Jim Smith

Jim Smith

Grew up in upstate New York. Earned my Journalism degree in 1983 from the University of Texas at Austin. Worked for two newspapers in Fayette County (Pa.) before starting at the Butler Eagle in 1998.