SLIPPERY ROCK TWP — A buildup of lint in a clothes dryer vent is blamed for a minor fire early Sunday morning at the North Country Brewing Co. on South Main Street.
The damage was confined to the dryer, said Chief Dave Taggart of the Slippery Rock Volunteer Fire Company.
Two cleaners were in the building about 6:30 a.m. when one of them called 911 to report smoke coming from the second floor. The business was closed at the time.
By the time firefighters from Slippery and Harrisville arrived, the smoke was throughout the building but the fire was quickly extinguished. No one was injured.
“The fire started in a dryer for linens,” Taggart said. “It appears that a lint buildup in the vent caught the inside of the dryer on fire.”
Damage and cleanup costs were estimated at $1,000. Firefighters remained there for about two hours.
The fire had no affect on the business, which remains open for business as usual, authorities said. Owner Bob McCafferty could not be reached for comment.