Marketplace   Menu Guide   Complete Pages      
butler eagle
Site last updated: Thursday, January 29, 2015 Bookmark our site!
Local PennsylvaniaNationalInternationalNews Extras  
Published: September 8, 2013 print this article Print save this article Save email this article Email ENLARGE TEXT increase font decrease font

Fire damages house in Jackson Township



JACKSON TWP — Flammable and combustible floor-cleaning materials accidentally ignited Sunday night, badly damaging a house and leaving a couple who lives there temporarily homeless, authorities said.
No one was injured in the blaze about 11:10 p.m. at the story-and-a-half house at 206 Gristmill Circle.
However, damage is estimated at $200,000, said Chief Neal Nanna of the Harmony Volunteer Fire Company.
Investigators believe the fire started on the front porch where the occupants, James Fidler and Leslie Kennedy, stored a number of floor-cleaning products as part of a renovation project.
“I believe it was spontaneous combustion with the chemicals,” Nanna said of what ignited the blaze.
The fire ignited the porch and shot up the wall and roof of the house.
Firefighters put out the blaze but not before it had damaged the front of the house, the roof and the attached garage. The home is insured.
Nanna said Fidler and Kennedy are staying with friends until their house is repaired.
Assisting the Harmony fire company were firefighters from Evans City, Callery, Adams Area and Cranberry Township.
Harmony fire crews were back at their station about 2 a.m. today.





Back
Comments
Order Photos!
 
MORE NEWS HEADLINES
arrow Fire damages house in city
arrow Tomorrow's Headlines
arrow Film crew to shoot at Butler Memorial
arrow 2nd fire destroys home
 
MOST READ ARTICLES
arrow Ex-owner of Jaffe's store dies in Florida
arrow 1-car accident sends driver to hospital
arrow Assistant county DA seeks DJ post
arrow Truck, car crash ties up traffic on I-79