Butler County's great daily newspaper

Blast rocks home, injures man

October 21, 2018 News Extra

Advertisement | Advertise Here
A man was burned Sunday afternoon in an apparent natural gas explosion at his mobile home in Center Township.

Natural gas suspected as source

CENTER TWP — A 42-year-old man was burned Sunday afternoon when an apparent natural gas explosion rocked his mobile home, authorities said.

Craig Hayden suffered “moderate burns” on his face and hands, and his hair was singed off, according to rescuers.

A medical helicopter flew him to the West Penn Burn Center in Pittsburgh. His condition was not immediately known.

Emergency crews and neighbors said the blast happened about 3:40 p.m. at Hayden's mobile home on Volkswood Drive, about one-half mile north of the Clearview Mall in Center Township.

“There was no fire,” said Nathan Wulff, chief of the Unionville Volunteer Fire Department, “but there was some heat damage inside.”

Read the full story in Monday's Butler Eagle.

Share this article:
Jim Smith

Jim Smith

Grew up in upstate New York. Earned my Journalism degree in 1983 from the University of Texas at Austin. Worked for two newspapers in Fayette County (Pa.) before starting at the Butler Eagle in 1998.