CHERRY TWP — A man was forced to jump out a window Sunday afternoon after the mobile home he was staying at caught fire, authorities said.
No one was injured in the apparent accidental cooking fire about 2:45 p.m. but the home on Moniteau Road in Cherry Township was destroyed.
Three adults and three children were living at the rental home but only one of the occupants was there.
The man, who is believed to be in his mid-20s, had been cooking eggs on an electric stove and inadvertency turned on a separate burner that had a pot of grease on it, according to fire officials.
He then went to sleep in a bedroom.
“The grease got too hot,” said Matt Wilson, chief of the West Sunbury Volunteer Fire Department,” and started the fire.”
The man was awakened by smoke in the trailer, which is about two miles west of Route 308.
“He jumped out the window and called his sister,” Wilson said. “She called 911.”
Read more about this fire in Tuesday's Butler Eagle.