Easter Sunday provided no reprieve from the life-threatening consequences of drugs.
Emergency crews in Butler responded to one near fatal overdose in the morning.
Later that afternoon, a 35-year-old man died of an apparent overdose at his home while his wife and children were there.
Michael Gregg was pronounced dead at his family’s home in the 300 block of Pleasantview Avenue, authorities said.
The Butler Fire Department was first to get to the house after someone there called 911 shortly before 5 p.m. Gregg was laying in the basement bedroom, said fire Capt. Kevin McAfee.
He was unresponsive, not breathing and “turning blue,” authorities said.
Rescuers began cardiopulmonary resuscitation and a Butler Ambulance Service crew set up a heart monitor but to no avail.
Butler County Deputy Coroner Larry Barr, who pronounced Gregg dead, said an autopsy was conducted that night. A cause of death is pending toxicology results.
Authorities found a syringe and two empty stamp bags of suspected heroin at the scene.
A Butler police report was not available and officers could not be reached for comment this morning.
Officials about 14 hours earlier were called for an apparent overdose at an East Christie Avenue home. Authorities said they found a 30-year-old man unconscious at his home.
Crews performed rescue breathing and used a bag-valve mask to establish an airway. He was eventually revived but refused further medical treatment.
A hypodermic needle was found beside the man. His name was not available this morning.