JACKSON TWP — The 23 employees at Bi-Lo supermarket in Northgate Plaza got an unexpected 45-minute break this morning, while firefighters from Harmony and Zelienople fire departments checked the roof for fire.
Bi-Lo zone manager Susan Bennett said the deli section of the store began to smoke just before 10 a.m., so she called 911.
She said the smoke had built up at a vent above the deli section.
Harmony Fire Chief Neal Nanna said several firefighters used a ladder truck from Zelienople to check to ensure no fire got into the ceiling.
Bennett said the store sustained no damage and remained open today. She praised the quick action of the firefighters.
“They were awesome,” Bennett said. “They got here really fast and handled it.”