Butler County's great daily newspaper

Fire damages 1 unit in city apartment building

March 26, 2014 News Extra

Advertisement | Advertise Here

No injuries were reported in a fire Tuesday evening at a downtown apartment building in Butler, authorities said.

The blaze started about 6:20 p.m. in the kitchen of one of the more than two dozen units at the three-story Flowers Apartment building at 302 N. Main St.,

A pan of grease left unattended on the electric stove top was the apparent cause, said Butler Fire Chief Nick Ban this morning.

Fred Betts, the tenant in that second-floor apartment, made it out safely. The building’s alarm system also alerted the 24 other tenants who live there.

“The occupant notification system operated perfectly,” Ban said.

Butler police got there and helped evacuate the tenants in the 150-year-old wood and brick building.

Fire crews found heavy smoke throughout the building but quickly identified the apartment on fire. Ban said.

The city department deployed its ladder truck and also called in Butler Township Fire District 3’s ladder tuck.

The blaze was contained to Betts’ apartment, authorities said.

There are 28 apartments on the second and third floors of the building, said Deana Young, manager of Fifth Avenue Properties, which owns the building. Three businesses operate on the first floor.

With the exception of Betts, all the other tenants were allowed to return to their apartments about 7:30 p.m., after the fire department inspected the building.

Betts is reportedly staying with a friend,

Share this article: