If the print dialog box does not automatically appear, open the file menu and choose Print.
Article published February 12, 2014
Police investigate OD death at hospital
The death of a 41-year-old Armstrong County man found in a bathroom at Butler Memorial Hospital last weekend is being investigated as a possible heroin overdose, authorities said. Brent A. Lindsay of Worthington was found late Friday night unresponsive on the bathroom floor, Butler police said. Sources told the Butler Eagle that drug paraphernalia and three empty stamp bags of suspected heroin were on the floor. However, police would not confirm what evidence if any was collected. An autopsy was not conducted but investigators are awaiting results of lab work. A toxicology test should determine any link between the death and a lethal batch of fentanyl-laced heroin that started sweeping through Western Pennsylvania last month. The tainted heroin is believed to be responsible for about two dozen drug-related deaths in Allegheny, Butler, Armstrong, Beaver and Westmoreland counties. State, county and local law enforcement officials say the deadly heroin mix has been placed in bags stamped with the words Theraflu, Bud Ice and Income Tax. None of the bags found in the hospital bathroom were marked with those street names, the sources said. Police were initially notified by the hospital at 10:44 p.m. Friday. “We were told that a male was unconscious on the floor,” said police Capt. David Dalcamo, “and that CPR had started and was in progress.” Connie Downs, a hospital spokeswoman, said because there is a continuing investigation, the hospital would have no comment on the death.