CLINTON TWP — A young couple was displaced from their rental home this morning when an apparent electrical fire started in the laundry room of a ranch-style house.
A call about 6:30 a.m. to the fire department and its quick response allowed the fire to be contained at the home in the 500 block of Lardintown Road, authorities said.
No one was hurt but the blaze gutted the laundry room and an adjacent bedroom, said Chief Chris Ballina of the Saxonburg Volunteer Fire Company.
Samantha Elayazra, 22, was home alone when she the light to a lamp flickering on and off in the laundry room.
“The next thing she knew,” Ballina said, “there were flames.”
Her fiance, 23-year-old Jeremy Neff, had left their home and was on his way to work, fire officials said.
Elayazra got out of the house and called for help. Ballina said he saw her outside when he arrived at the wood-frame house, which is owned by Dave Norris of Clinton Township.
Firefighters made a quick entry inside and had the blaze under control in about 30 minutes.
The Sarver Volunteer Fire Department assisted Saxonburg firefighters.
Damage was estimated at $40,000 to the structure and $10,000 to the contents. Both the tenants and owner have insurance.
Fire officials deemed the house “unliveable” but “likely repairable.”
Neff and Elayazra are staying with his mother.
Saxonburg firefighters were back at their station about 9:15 a.m.