WORTH TWP — A kitchen fire late Thursday afternoon heavily damaged a house just north of Moraine State Park.
The fire broke out around 3:45 p.m. at the wood-frame, single-story house at 494 Mount Union Road.
Slippery Rock Volunteer Fire Company Assistant Chief Ken Taggart said owner Michael Rogers was heating up some cooking oil on the stove when he went to attend to a customer at Rogers Rifle, Rod and Reel, the business located on the property.
While talking to the customer, Rogers apparently forgot about the oil, which eventually ignited, Taggart said.
Malcom Rogers, Michael’s father and the house’s co-owner, called 911 and firefighters were able to quickly get control of the fire.
“We knocked it down in 30 minutes,” Taggart said.
No one was injured, but Taggart said the house, which is insured, sustained heavy damage, particularly to the kitchen and roof.
Slippery Rock VFC Chief Dave Taggart estimated damage at $25,000. He said the fire has been ruled accidental.
Fire officials noted that the kitchen of the house was recently remodeled and the owners were planning to work on the house’s porch soon.
In addition to the Slippery Rock VFC, volunteer firefighters from Portersville and Scott Township, Lawrence County, assisted at the scene. The last crews were back at their station about 6:15 p.m.