Marketplace   Menu Guide   Complete Pages      
butler eagle
Site last updated: Friday, March 6, 2015 Bookmark our site!
Local PennsylvaniaNationalInternationalNews Extras  
Published: August 30, 2013 print this article Print save this article Save email this article Email ENLARGE TEXT increase font decrease font

Fire damages house, flora shop in Mars



MARS — A fire Friday night severely damages the basement and the attic of a house on Grand Avenue.
The fire started about 5:30 p.m. when residents of the home were preparing dinner, according to Bill Hayes, chief of the Adams Area Volunteer Fire Department.
The home is connected to the Macri Floral Shop, which is owned by the homeowner, Michael Macri.
Hayes estimated damages could be near $200,000. There is insurance on the house.
Hayes said Macri was frying food on a stove in the basement when the fire started. It quickly spread to the walls and ceiling of the basement.
Hayes said the construction of the home allowed for the flames to move up the walls into the attic.
Firefighters had it under control by about 7 p.m..
The basement and attic had the most fire damage while the rest of the home and the floral shop had smoke and water damage.
The six-member family is staying with friends.
The Adams Area department, which got to the house first, was assisted by South Butler, Middlesex, Callery, Evans City, Cranberry, Harmony, Richland, and Wexford departments.
Quality Ambulance and Mars police also responded.





Back
Comments
Order Photos!
 
MORE NEWS HEADLINES
arrow Time Capsule
arrow Geography knowledge pays off
arrow State Sen. Elder Vogel opens satellite office in county
arrow Multivehicle crash leads to shutdown of Route 422 in Armstrong Co.
 
MOST READ ARTICLES
arrow Driver, monitor fired for leaving student on bus
arrow Driver rescued after car rolls down embankment
arrow One injured in vehicle crash
arrow Plaza expansion planned in Jackson Twp