A 35-year-old city man will stand trial on charges he sexually assaulted a boy at the Butler YMCA last month.
Jason M. Taylor on Monday waived his right to a preliminary hearing in connection with the alleged attack June 27.
He is charged with aggravated assault and attempted aggravated indecent assault, both felonies.
Additionally, he is charged with indecent assault with a person less than 13 years old, corruption of minors, simple assault and terroristic threats, all misdemeanors.
However, a charge of attempted rape was dropped.
Butler police said Taylor, who had a knife, grabbed the 12-year-old boy at the YMCA about 7:30 p.m. and forced him into the bathroom stall. He warned the boy not to scream, according to court documents.
The boy told investigators that Taylor kissed and fondled him.
When the boy heard someone come into the bathroom, he yelled for help. That scared Taylor, who unlocked the stall door and ran.
Several YMCA members heard the cries and rushed to help, holding Taylor until police arrived.
The suspect allegedly confessed to the attack during a police interview.
Taylor’s decision to waive his hearing before District Judge Pete Shaffer came after discussions between his attorney, public defender Terri Schultz, and prosecutor Mark Lope.
Following those talks, Lope withdrew a felony charge of attempted rape that police initially filed.
“There’s insufficient evidence to substantiate that charge,” Lope told Shaffer.
Taylor is in the Butler County Prison on $150,000 bail.