If the print dialog box does not automatically appear, open the file menu and choose Print.
Article published May 14, 2013
Fire drives mother, daughter from home
EVANS CITY — Fire early this morning forced a mother and her daughter from their rental home on May Lane. Neither was hurt but they lost most of their belongings in the fire that broke out about 12:20 a.m. The one-and-a-half story house, just east of Mars Evans City Road, has substantial interior damage and some exterior damage. The state police fire marshal is investigating what started the blaze, which appeared to be accidental, said Chief Mark Adomaitis of the Evans City Volunteer Fire Department. The names of the tenants, one believed to be in her 50s and the other in her 20s, were not available this morning. The homeowner’s name also was not known. The older woman had just gone to bed when she reportedly smelled smoke. “She went to check and saw a small fire in the area of a front room,” Adomaitis said. “She thought initially it was a computer fire.” The older woman awakened her daughter. They grabbed their dog and got out of the house. Evans City Police were first to get there followed by firefighters moments later. An attack crew got inside and within 10 minutes the fire was out. Firefighters from Harmony, Callery and Zelienople also assisted. Fire damage was confined to the office and kitchen. The rest of the house has heat and smoke damage. The renters had no insurance. However, the house is insured. The Butler chapter of the American Red Cross was notified to assist the women, who are reportedly staying with friends. Evans City firefighters were back at their station about 3 a.m.