If the print dialog box does not automatically appear, open the file menu and choose Print.
Article published March 7, 2013
Fire this morning destroys garage, vehicles
BUTLER TWP — Fire early today destroyed a wood-frame garage and claimed several other casualties — a pickup truck, two cars and tools. No one was injured in the fire that broke out about 5:30 a.m. at the unattached, two-stall garage in the 700 block of Bull Creek Road. “It’s a shock. A real shock,” said Renee Slupe as she watched the smoldering remains of what used to be the garage she owned. Her son and his roommates, who live at the house just about 100 feet away from the garage, owned the vehicles caught up in the fire. Damage was estimated at $37,000, maybe more, said Kevin Smith, assistant chief for the South Butler Volunteer Fire Department. The structure and contents are insured. Butler Township fire marshal Larry Christy is investigating but he said the blaze did not appear to be suspicious. He noted the garage had an electrical connection. Assisting the South Butler VFD were firefighters from Meridian, Greenwood Village, Lyndora, Mercer Road, Penn Township and Herman.