Middlesex kitchen fire gets out of hand
Butler Eagle
Written by:
March 6, 2013

MIDDLESEX TWP — A homeowner was chased out of his house Saturday afternoon when a grease fire got out of hand, authorities said.

No one was hurt and quick action by firefighters minimized the damage but David Herman, who owns the house at 120 Overbrook Road, was left temporarily homeless.

The Middlesex Township Volunteer Fire Company said Herman was cooking in the kitchen about 3:25 p.m. when he momentarily walked away from the stove.

“The grease caught fire and got into the cabinet above the stove,” said Glenn Pfeifer, assistant chief for the Middlesex VFC. “The fire went up the wall and into the attic.”

Herman grabbed a fire extinguisher but it was empty, officials said. He fled the home and called 911.

The smoke was coming through the eaves when the fire crew got there. Firefighters rushed into the one-and-a-half story house and pulled down the ceiling in the kitchen to get to the fire.

“It was knocked down pretty quick,” Pfeifer said.

Between 20 and 25 firefighters from four departments battled the blaze.

A damage estimate was not immediately available. Authorities said Herman did not have insurance. The homeowner spent the night at his father’s house

Herman would have to make electrical repairs before he could move back into his house, Pfeifer said

Assisting the Middlesex VFC were firefighters from Adams Area in Butler County and Richland Township and West Deer 3 in Allegheny County.

Middlesex firefighters were back at their station about 5:30 p.m.