Marketplace   Menu Guide   Complete Pages      
butler eagle
Site last updated: Thursday, December 18, 2014 Bookmark our site!
Local PennsylvaniaNationalInternationalNews Extras  
Published: January 20, 2013 print this article Print save this article Save email this article Email ENLARGE TEXT increase font decrease font

House condemned after it catches on fire



Authorities blamed a faulty electric blanket for starting a fire this morning that damaged a three-story house in Butler.
While firefighters were able to save the home at 215 W. Diamond St., Fire Chief Nick Ban later condemned it, leaving five people homeless.
“There appear to be wiring issues there,” Ban said of his decision to condemn the home. “There are also problems with the upkeep and maintenance of the house.”
No one was injured but the house, owned by Donna Fehl, sustained about $20,000 in damage, fire officials said. Another $10,000 in damage was reported to the contents.
It was not known if Fehl or any of the occupants had insurance.
She was at work and not home. Four others who live there got out with two dogs and a cat and the clothes on their backs.
Ban said he condemned the house because of concern over still electrical problems and what he considered an unsafe amount of contents and debris crammed inside.
“They will have to clean up the property and obtain an inspection and permits needed to rehabilitate a building before that house can be occupied again,” he said.
The home’s electric, gas and water also would remain shut off.





Back
Comments
Order Photos!
 
MORE NEWS HEADLINES
arrow Bombing suspect in court for 1st time since ‘13
arrow Web promos for Friday
arrow Butler Downtown’s funding expires
arrow South Butler pre K starts
 
MOST READ ARTICLES
arrow None of your business
arrow Stepfather facing trial in fraud case
arrow Police Reports
arrow Her father’s politics