Fire damage minimal
Quick action saves home
Butler Eagle
Written by:
November 14, 2012

LANCASTER TWP — Call it a good case of luck.

When a fire broke out Saturday night at a home on Route 19, the son of the elderly bedridden woman who lives there happened to be visiting from his West Coast home some 2,000 miles away.

He immediately called 911, who notified the Harmony Volunteer Fire Company.

The fire station happens to be right across the street from the woman’s house.

Firefighters in a matter of minutes were there and had the fire out. No one was injured.

“Everything just happened to go her way that night,” said Chief Neal Nanna of the Harmony VFC. “If this would have happened in the middle of night it would have been much different.”

Authorities declined to identify the 90-year-old woman due to her age and health, and because she lives alone.

Fire officials believe electrical wiring that runs under the second and third floors of the 100-year-old wood-frame house shorted out and triggered the blaze.

“The wiring runs under the toilet,” Nanna said.

The woman’s son from Seattle, Wash., who had been there for two or three days, discovered the fire about 8:45 p.m.

Damage to the house, owned by an Allegheny County man, was estimated at $250.