CENTER TWP — An overheated woodburner ignited a fire Thursday evening that quickly destroyed an unattached garage at a home in the 1200 block of Sunset Drive, authorities said.
“I was on my way there and when I crested the hill I saw it and said, ‘Wow,’ said Chief Greg Brester of the Unionville Volunteer Fire Department. “You could see the fire from a mile away.”
By the time the first crews showed up shortly before 7 p.m., fire officials said, it was too late.
“It was through the roof,” Brewster said of the fire.
No one was injured, but Randy Kneiss’ 24-foot-by-24-foot wood garage was destroyed. Also lost were its contents including a lawn tractor and an all-terrain vehicle.
In all, damage is estimated at $30,000. Kneiss had no insurance on the property, officials said.
Kneiss was home at the time and when he looked outside, he saw fire coming from the front of the garage. He had been using the woodburner inside.
Assisting the Unionville VFD were firefighters from West Sunbury, Prospect, Oneida Valley and Slippery Rock.