CENTER TWP — CENTER TWP — An elderly woman who uses a walker was able to get out of her Center Township house after it caught fire this morning.
The 89-year-old woman, in her stocking feet, made it out of the elevated ranch-style house on Glenwood way at Route 38 shortly before 11 a.m.
“I seen the smoke and I took off,” Doris Reges said. “I went out the kitchen door and backed onto the porch. A stranger was in my driveway and he helped me off the steps.”
She was uninjured.
Unionville and West Sunbury volunteer firefighters quickly put out the fire.
Reges said the fire was an accident.
She was cleaning up and lit a match to look in the closet of a back bedroom.
“There's no light in there,” she said.
She guessed the match was not out when she put it down. and that it started the fire.
“Next thing I knew,” she said, “I seen smoke coming down the hallway.”
Read more in the Butler Eagle.