Butler County's great daily newspaper

Fire today causes minor damage to house

October 6, 2013 News Extra

FAIRVIEW TWP — The Chicora Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire this morning at 111 Beck Drive.

Chief Jason Miller said a string of lights lit paper products, including paper towels, on fire in a closet.

He said the string is designed to hang in a closet, but it was placed too close to the paper.

The paper items were removed so the fire was contained to the closet

“There was no fire extension into the walls,” said Miller, who estimated damages at less than $1,000.

Chicora was assisted by the Bruin, Petrolia and Sugarcreek volunteer fire departments.

More than 20 firefighters responded to the 8:12 a.m. 911 call. Crews cleared the scene at 9:06 p.m.