Butler County's great daily newspaper

Farm equipment, hundreds of bales of hay destroyed in blaze

October 3, 2013 News Extra

BUFFALO TWP — Several hundred bales of hay and farm equipment were destroyed late Thursday night when a large barn went up in flames.

Terry Macurdy, owner of the more than 120-year-old barn at 313 Monroe Road, believes lightning sparked the fire.

It apparently hit so close that a circuit breaker was tripped in the house, but electrical power was only lost for a second or two.

At 9 p.m., while sitting in his living room, Macurdy noticed flames coming from the two-story barn with a loft.

“The whole wall facing the house was on fire,” he said.

He managed to get into the back of the barn and remove two tractors before the fire took control of the entire structure.

“I lost a grain drill and corn picker,” he said, “and 400 bale of hay.”

He suspected the hay helped fuel the initial fire on the front side of the barn.