Butler County's great daily newspaper

Mail carrier saves dog from blaze as mobile home is destroyed

January 31, 2013 News Extra

EVANS CITY — A mail carrier this morning pulled a dog from a burning mobile home and resuscitated it before the home became completely engulfed in flames.

The home at 148 Pioneer Road caught fire shortly after 10 a.m.

The Pearce family, comprised of a husband, wife and two children, were not home at the time of the fire. One son, aged 10, was at school while a daughter, 3, was at a doctor’s appointment.

U.S. Postal Service employee Jo Amerson said she noticed smoke coming from the mobile home when she approached it to deliver mail.

Amerson said she and a neighbor broke several windows and eventually broke down a back door to the residence. That’s when she pulled the dog, a German Shepherd, from the home and revived it using CPR.

Robert Pearce stood outside and watched the trailer burn to the ground.

“The family is good,” he said. “Everything else can be replaced.”